Monday 9 March 2009

Mud, glorious mud and Crufts finishes

Jana's dad on the lookout.
This was taken when I went down to his kennels to collect puppy Jana. He's a very handsome dog and looked so good in the final line-up for Crufts Best In Show, as did the papillon, but they didn't get any further, unfortunately. Best In Show was a Sealyham terrier and Reserve a Standard Poodle. Maybe next year!
I must add that I don't own Jana's dad......wish I did!!
******************************************************
It wasn't so much Crufts as 'Scruffts' for our show dogs after a very wet and muddy walk on Saturday. We met up with Jenny, Ria, and Morag and we had ten dogs between us. The rain started just as we set out and didn't really stop, turning an already muddy path on the way out into a mini river in places on the way back! The dogs didn't seem to mind, although Teasel did pull a bit of a face when we set out in the rain.
Our walk took us to a derelict house, which must have been impressive in its day. Such a shame it has been allowed to rot. The grounds contained lovely trees and large patches of snowdrops too. I bet it's lovely on a sunny day.
We finished up at our friend Lesley's house, in front of a roaring fire (jeans steaming off nicely) and with some lovely home-made soup and cake.

Pretty clean at this point.


Approaching the house.


It must have been a grand place at one time.


Jasper has a mad moment in the dead leaves.


Pansy's underneath has now turned a fetching shade of mud brown!


Look out! Hurtling pug coming through!


There were lots of snowdrops in the grounds.


Washing off the mud at the end of the walk......for those that are willing to enter the water, that is. The paps are nowhere to be seen and Jana would only dip her toes in!

14 comments:

Amber and Nala said...

Fire, soup, and cake....what more could you ask for!! Sounds great! Hope the dogs had fun in the mud....Nala loves it!

Kess And Her Mama said...

Jana's dad is a handsome fella. The dogs sure had fun in the mud. After all, what's a little soil and water???

NESSA the hovawart said...

Hi, guys,
do you know I should be in Crufts too? I won last year in Portoroz,Slovenia in Crufts qualifications...but my mommy wouldn't let me on the plain, becouse I would probably go crazy alone under....
Muds are great...and thank dog for water:-)
Kisses and hugs,
Nessa

karensbrae said...

These pictures look fab. Trying to catch up with all the blogs.

Sally said...

Great band, but the house is very creepy.

Nice wuuuh
Sally

Totally Timmy said...

Looks like a perfect day. That old house must of been amazing at one time..wow..

Unknown said...

Oooh, that water looks cold! Thanks for visiting my bloggie. Me and Mommy love the Scottish highlands, although she has only been there once when she was a teenager. Once this economy settles down, she definitely wants to go back for a visit! Our family is from Elgin and Kincraig.

Come see us again!

Your pal,

Petey

Diego Dog said...

The mud looks like fun but I hate to get my feet wet. You would never catch me in that cold water either.

Diego

BCxFour said...

Gorgeous shots! I love the old house - what a wonderful place to explore and walk.

Pyatshaw said...

It's great to be back, but I see life on the blog sites have been going ahead as usual with all the wonderful photos.
That old house is the type of place I would love to live in (wouldn't like the expense though) as there is so much room for "stuff"!!...and I have a lot of it!

Life With Dogs said...

Nice to have water near the end of the walk this time of year. It's towel season.

Tee said...

Woooooo the pups looked like they had a grand time rolling around in the leaves and exploring the grounds ... I hope the humans didn't find it too exhausting to keep them in check!

Licks and Wags

Tuffy & The Dog Woods Pack

Suldog said...

Well, sorry to hear they didn't scoop the big prize, but just making it is something.

Oskar said...

Scotland looks fun! I'm Oskar from the US. Come by & visit me sometime.

www.oskarsblog.com