Friday 27 March 2009

The Berry Eaters and the 200th post!

All thoughts of Spring have swiftly disappeared as our weather goes from bad to worse. Cold northerly winds have brought rain, rain and more rain plus some sleet and hail showers thrown in for good measure. There's even talk of more snow falling.

As a reminder of warmer days, I am posting some photos which were taken a week ago.



I was thrilled to hear and see a flock of about 16 waxwings in a tree opposite my house. These birds are occasional visitors to Britain, coming over from Scandinavia looking for food when conditions are harsh over there. They are particularly keen on berries. It's been a number of years since I last saw any so I rushed to photograph them before they flew away but I needn't have worried because they hung around a couple of days and I was able to shoot them as they stripped a neighbour's cotoneaster bush of its berries.



They are very distinctive birds and quite easy to photograph because they allow you to get fairly close to them.












This is my 200th post! How quickly it's come around.

12 comments:

Kess And Her Mama said...

Happy 200th post! Yes, it is a tremendous milestone. We have lots of that around these couple of weeks! You captured the waxwing so beautifully, especially the close up shot with the blue sky in the background!

PS. Age is a matter of the mind...You're as young as you feel!

Diego Dog said...

Congrats on #200. Bird photos are great and I really like the dogs in the snow at the top of the page.

Diego Dog

Thomgib said...

Wonder where the Waxwings are now? Probably seeking the milder Scandinavian climate! PS What's for tea tonight? ( You've been so busy on your blog this is the first chance I've had to ask!)

Hamish Westie said...

Thanks for reminding me that weather can be warmer! As I lay shivering on my sofa with my too short haircut.
Cheers! H.

Amber and Nala said...

Wow, the Waxwing is a very pretty bird....great shots! :) Happy 200th post!

Chris said...

Your waxwing shots are great,only sorry we didn't get to you in time to see them lower than your TV ariel

wyvisview said...

Cracking pics!

Unknown said...

What beautiful birds! Congrats on your 200th post, too. Very cool.

Pyatshaw said...

absolutely brilliant photographs (as usual!)

Baruch said...

What a beautiful bird - great photos

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Beautiful Waxwing shots!

Joe Narvaez said...

Very cool bird shots! I like this very much!